A Tale of Two Cities

Identity is influenced by the world around your body, shaped by the individuals around your mind, and defined by the values inside your heart.

Opening scene: New York City in the 1980's. Job scarcity, crime and drugs were king. Being a product of this environment, our mothers found it necessary to give their children a different life. Somehow, some way-children in tow- they both ended up settling in the small town of Ballston Spa, New York.

They couldn't help that they brought a little (or a lot) of their grit to the lives they led in a small town just south of the city that was home to the historic Saratoga Racetrack. There was no hiding from the neighbors that our families had been transplanted there from another place, far far away.

Street-light-curfew was still a thing when there were few street lights to reference, being that the stars lit the night path in the 'burbs. We had to page (see: pager, beeper; the infancy of electronic communication) when we got to the neighbor's house, because the 25 yards of green grass is akin to the Wild West to someone used to the concrete jungle.

Those instances, our families and our surroundings contributed to the identities we carried with ourselves through college. With the help of trying times and wonderful friendships, we further flourished into the women we have become.

Fast forward to today:
We live in familiar cities and come from the similar small-town background, and have drastically different experiences from traveling to teaching to simply living.

Next stop: New York City, please stand clear of the closing doors.


The Bronx to be exact. The birthplace of Hip Hop, the home of the Yankees. The Bronx has gained a reputation that precedes it, while being stigmatized by stereotypes. To live in the Bronx and not be lost means to know one's self and mission.
I am called upon by the Bronx, on multiple occasions in my teaching and by my community to contribute to positive change. I have found identity in my career, and my dedication to working for my community through tutoring and teaching dance classes. This being said, I also have a strong need to remove myself from this place that makes me feel as though life is flashing before my eyes. I go to the gym, but I still can't keep up...


Destination: Lancaster



A perfect blend of art, culture, shopping, history, and entertainment. Definitely not one of those places where you catch yourself saying "There's nothing to do here" (Unless of course, you grew up here, in which case I'm sure you've said that- it's like an unwritten rule).  It took me 18 years to end up back here and here's the lingering question - Is this where I'll stay?

Do you  ever catch yourself wondering "Where will I settle down". I say it all the time. How can you make an informed decision without testing out your options? And the options are endless. What are the factors that influence you to move? I'll give you time to reflect on that and be on the lookout for a future blog post!




Comments